Excerpt from CityNews May 14, 2021 BY PATRICIA D'CUNHA AND NEWS STAFF
For the second year in a row, some of Toronto’s iconic summer festivals, including the CNE, have been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The City announced Friday that it is “extending the cancellation of in-person City-led and City-permitted outdoor events to September 6.”
As a result, summer events like the CNE, Caribbean Carnival, Taste of the Danforth and Beaches Jazz Festival won’t be returning this year.
“The City understands the importance of these events to Toronto’s vitality, liveability and prosperity. City staff are working in close collaboration with event organizers, who in every instance possible have been consulted on this approach and given advance notice of this decision,” the City said in a release.
The City had previously cancelled several in-person events until July 1, including the Pride parade. However, Pride officials said they would move to a virtual event.
Below is the list of the latest events impacted but the City said some may be offered virtually:
- Taste of the Middle East
- Taste of Lawrence
- Honda Indy
- Toronto Outdoor Art Fair
- Salsa in Toronto
- 49th Annual Festival of India
- Bloor West StreetFest
- Beaches Jazz Festival
- Oss Fest
- Caribbean Junior Carnival
- Scarborough Ribfest
- Caribbean Carnival, King and Queen Competition, Pan Alive and Grand Parade
- Taste of the Danforth
- Vegandale Food Drink Festival
- Bollywood Film Fair
- Waterfront Night Market
- Canadian National Exhibition
- Mabuhay Philippines Festival
- Toronto Chinatown Festival
- Labour Day Parade
The CNE, which is major revenue generator for the city and province, reported a $6-million loss after last year’s event was cancelled. Officials also said it led to a loss of $128 million for the province.